Stephen Leahy, International Environmental Journalist

Discovering Global Environmental Interconnections

Tips for Climate-Safe Living on Earth Day

with 7 comments

Take time to be outside today and think about everything that nature provides:  air, water, plants and animals that sustain us. Such gifts should not be taken lightly because with our numbers and powerful technologies we are ‘the bull in nature’s china shop’.

We need to take great care and practice Climate-safe Living.

1. Reduce.

Reduce fossil fuel consumption everywhere.

2. Eliminate.

3. Demand.

Demand that business and government provide transport, activities and products that use minimize fossil fuel use.

Reduce. Eliminate. Demand. R.E.D.

May you always cherish this Earth and share in her joys.

Stephen

7 Responses

1. Stephen, I don’t often agree with you but there are some things that you say here that I fully support but require some extra comments.

“We need to take great care and practice Climate-safe Living” – humans always have done this to the best of their ability. It’s known as survival..

“Reduce. Reduce fossil fuel consumption everywhere. Eliminate. Eliminate all non-essential activities and products that involve burning fossil fuels. Demand that business and government provide transport, activities and products that use minimize fossil fuel use” – what has our use of fossil fuels to do with living safely with the changes in climate that Nature throws at us?

There is no convincing evidence that our use of fossil fuels has any significant impact upon the different global climates. On the contrary, it is thanks to fossil fuels that humans are able to survive so comfortably under extreme climatic conditions – e.g. think of all of those humans who live in the Arctic and tropics.

“May you always cherish this Earth and share in her joys” – and improve on Nature wherever we can for the benefit of humans.

Best regards, Pete Ridley

Pete Ridley

23/04/2011 at 5:06 am

• You are in denial Peter. Instead of spending Easter weekend writing comments like these please go outside, enjoy nature. Visit friends and family. Peace.

Stephen

24/04/2011 at 11:03 am

2. Stephen, I always listen to advice given, even by strangers, but I use my own judgement about whether to take it or not. What is it that, in your humble opinion, I am in denial of? If you are referring to CACC, then I certainly deny that I have seen any convincing evidence of it.

You come across as being a disciple of CACC.

I go outside to enjoy nature’s wonders at my leisure, not at your command. You have not yet been appointed ruler of the world.

BTW, when I opened my back curtains this morning a was surprised to see a beautiful chaffinch sitting motionless on the patio. I thought that maybe it was stalking an insect or two but even when I went outside to check if it was OK it still didn’t move more that its eyes (gave me side-long glances).

I picked it up and tried to have a chat with it but not a cheep so I sat it on the side of the bird-bath, stroked its head and wished it well and offered a little prayer to whichever benevolent superpower takes an intererst n little birds. Next time I looked out there was no sign of it so I hope that it flew off, but I did see a black and white cat licking its lips.

Best regards, Pete Ridley

Pete Ridley

24/04/2011 at 4:01 pm

• It was a suggestion to be outside – how you thought it command is a bit puzzling. As I said you are in denial in refusing to acknowledge the multiple lines of evidence regarding climate change.

FYI climate change is the actual term coined some 30 years ago. There is no need for any other.

Stephen

24/04/2011 at 9:48 pm

3. Hi Stephen, it looks as though you don’t like the truth too much. I’ll try re-posting that comment that you deleted and if it is deleted again I’ll look to post it elsewhere. Maybe n the blog of one of those oponents of yours in the up-coming election.

Best regards, Pete Ridley.

Pete Ridley

25/04/2011 at 9:21 am

• So you have the truth and no one else has. And now you resort to threats — that says volumes about who you are.

Stephen

25/04/2011 at 12:26 pm

4. April 22 is Earth Day. This year, its theme is “A Billion Acts of Green.” The idea behind the 2011 program is to demonstrate that millions of small acts can make a profound difference in the environment in delivering a balanced energy solution balancing the use of fossil fuels with renewable energy sources.

Jason Kim