Late Wednesday night for over 3 hours dozens of countries’ stated the draft Paris Agreement is a great start but… x, y and z need fixing.
And so informal groups are meeting overnight to find compromises on a number of key issues. In the morning a new revised draft Paris Agreement will be released. There will still be bracketed issue.
Expect negotiations to go into the weekend.
Key Issues in Dispute
* Developing countries want a strong and separate article for the Warsaw International Mechanism for loss and damage associated with climate change impacts
* Finance – who’s going to pay and by when. More $$ from rich nations will be needed
* Differentiation – who has to do what
* Ambition – what’s the long-term temperature goal
* Response measures -what to do when measures to address climate change hurt fossil fuel-dependent economies ie Saudi Arabia
- Inter Press Service News Agency (International)
- DeSmog Blog (Seattle)
- Philippine EnviroNews (Philippines)
- Earth Journalism (International)
- Watson (Switzerland)
- Skeptical Science (International)